DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES > SCHOOL OF NURSING AND HEALTH SCIENCES > DEPARTMENT OF NURSING > NURSING POLICIES > CLINICAL CLEARANCES POLICY
Clinical Clearances Policy
Nursing students must obtain current Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check Clearances, Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance and FBI Clearance in order to attend clinical experiences. These clearances are considered valid for one year from date of issue.
Students must submit original documentation of the clearances by the due date given by the Enrollment Coordinator, Graduate Programs for those in the graduate programs.
These clearances must be renewed annually while in the nursing program, and will be kept in the student’s file in the Department of Nursing.
Students will not be permitted to attend clinical experiences until they have submitted current clearances to the the Enrollment Coordinator, Graduate Programs. Students are responsible for any costs incurred to obtain clearances.
Any falsification of submitted documents will not be tolerated and is grounds for dismissal by the Department of Nursing.
Faculty Approved: 10/2008
Procedures for Obtaining Clearances
Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check Clearance: (Act 34 Clearances)
Apply Online (*This is the preferrable way to apply)
Form and Information (To apply by mail)
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance: (Act 33 Clearances)
Instruction Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance Form (information and form to apply by mail)
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance Form (form to apply by mail)
FBI Clearance: (Act 73 clearances)
Required Documentation for Clinical Activities - For those beginning clinical activities in 2013 and after
- Go to website: Cogent Systems.com http://www.cogentsystems.com/
- On the right hand side, click on “Applicant Fingerprinting”.
- Select Pennsylvania.
- Select department of Public Welfare.
- Under “Registration”, click on “Register Online”.
- Complete the form that pops up.
For agency, put Robert Morris University, 6001 University Blvd., Moon Township, PA 15108
- For reason, click on Employment with a significant likelihood of regular contact with children –
- Create an account and pay for your fingerprinting.
- Then you must go to a print location.
The locations can be found at: https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_dpw.htm.
The location closest to RMU is located at:
The UPS Store #5392 1525 Park Manor Blvd Pittsburgh, PA 15205 (in Robinson Town Center)
Required Documentation for Clinical Activities
Certified Background: https://www.certifiedbackground.com/
For students beginning clinical agency activity in 2013 or thereafter the School of Nursing and Health Sciences has contracted with Certified Background (CB) to facilitate the completion and tracking of student clearances, health forms and other required documentation.
When notified via email, students must access the CB website and create an account. (This typically occurs about 6 months before the first clinical activities). Compliance with all requirements is necessary for student clinical placement to occur. You are strongly encouraged to read all materials carefully, as failure to adhere to mandated clearances and other documentation by the due date may result in delays and/or exclusion from clinical sites.
Those entering clinical activities for the first time must complete the following:
Residents of Pennsylvania who will be attending field experiences in PA.
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance Form (CY113), Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check Clearances (SPA-164) and FBI Criminal History Background Check. Please allow up to six weeks for completion of clearances.
Out of state residents who will be attending field experiences outside of PA.
- Appropriate Background Check for the state in which the field experience will take place. Please allow up to six weeks for completion of clearances.
- An initial health evaluation is required prior to the start of the first course with clinical agency activities. In order to comply with the State Board of Nursing regulations, as well as contractual agreements with clinical agencies the Department of Nursing requires a separate initial health evaluation. Students are responsible for downloading the health evaluation form from CB and having it completed by their preferred healthcare provider. (Note: Titers for the following are currently required, MMR & Varicella; Medical record of Hep B and DPT are required; Annual PPD or appropriate follow up for a positive PPD is required). Completed forms need to be uploaded to the Certified Background website by the given due date. Always keep a copy of any important documents that are submitted.
- Current CPR certification is also required prior to the first clinical course. The certification required is the American Heart Association “Healthcare Provider” level or the American Red Cross “Professional Rescuer.” Students are responsible for the cost of certification. A copy of the CPR card is uploaded to the Certified Background website. The student keeps the original.
Those continuing with clinical activities must complete the following.
- An annual health exam is required yearly after the initial health evaluation for as long as the student is enrolled in nursing clinical courses. The annual health evaluation form is also available on the Certified Background website.
- A charge or a conviction of a felonious act may prevent students from attending clinical experiences. Inability to fulfill clinical objectives could result in failure in the course and/ or dismissal from the program.
- Costs associated with completing these requirements are the responsibility of the student.