(S.M.A.R.T. = Students, Mentoring, Assisting, Relating, Transitioning)
As a student-driven, peer mentoring program, we provide social, academic and emotional support and guidance within the School of Nursing during the continuum of the nursing program.
Objectives and Goals
- Promote student, faculty, and program engagement within the department of nursing, as well as RMU and surrounding communities.
- Assist freshman nursing students with the transition to higher education.
- Encourage academic success and social networking opportunities.
- Develop a strong support system among nursing students.
- Engage students through group activities for stress relief, relaxation and socializing.
- Senior nursing students will serve as mentors to sophomore nursing students (mentees).
- Junior nursing students will serve as mentors to freshman nursing students (mentees).
- 2nd Degree students will serve as mentors to incoming 2nd Degree students.
- Being a mentee is strongly encouraged for freshman and sophomore nursing students.
- Oversight of program by faculty.
- Mentors will be chosen based on completion of submitted application, and signed letters of commitment and confidentiality.
- Mentees will be assigned to mentors by faculty and delegates.
- The partnership between a Mentor and Mentee requires active participation from both parties.
- Mentors and mentor delegates will receive leadership SET credit.
Questions? Contact Professor Janet Shade at Shade@rmu.edu